Tips On Hair Shampooing
Many clients don’t realize how important the scalp is. It controls hair growth, so when the scalp is healthy, your hair will be strong and beautiful.
Keep your scalp well-nourished by following these tips straight from the salon:
- Shampoo: Your scalp produces natural oils that protect and condition it. Use a gentle shampoo that removes dirt, but won’t completely strip out these oils while still protecting hair color.
- Massage: When you shampoo your hair, massage your scalp with the balls of your fingers. This stimulates your scalp, increases circulation, and helps remove dead skin cells that could be clogging the pores.
- Moisturize: A very dry, itchy scalp can potentially cause your hair to grow thinner and sparser. Give it an extra dose of moisture by using a rich, moisturizing shampoo and follow with a hot oil treatment once a week. You can also apply coconut oil or jojoba oil to your scalp at night, then wash it out in the morning.
- Clarify: Products such as dry shampoo, hairspray, and more can build up on your scalp, because shampoo doesn’t completely remove them. This buildup can cause oily, greasy roots and clog the scalp’s pores, which affects hair growth and appearance. Use a gentle clarifying shampoo to remove buildup and exfoliate the scalp. Another option is mixing a few drops of tea tree oil with your shampoo, for extra cleansing.
- Protect: Your scalp is vulnerable to sunburns, especially if you have fine hair or a distinct part line. Protect it from the sun with a UV blocking hair product. You can even apply a small line of sunblock directly to your part and gently massage it into your scalp.
- Nourish: Make sure to consume plenty of omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin A, selenium, and zinc – nutrients that contribute to the health of your scalp and hair.